Tuesday, January 6, 2009

TLog: Indoor bike, gym and swimming

Jan 5, 2009

As usual, it is a relief to get to the gym after long conference sessions and heavy dinners. The Marriott gym is well equipped, and I did a 75 min bike yesterday (instead of 90 min due to a dinner appointment). Today, I hit the gym for weight training, followed by a swim in the heated indoor pool.

The pool is short (about 12 m?) and small. Lucky for me, there was a separator lane that was vacated by another swimmer just as I was about to start. After a few min warmup, I did 15 min (almost non-stop) swim - not sure how many laps. Short rest, followed by another 15 min. Then a short warmdown. Took about 10 to 12 strokes per lap. That should translate to 22 to 24 strokes for 25 m. Hope to cut that down to 20 strokes as advocated by TM.

Felt pretty good about the progress so far. Focus on the arm pull motion - the catch only after the other hand has "chased up" and to bend the arm on the stroke. Typically, I was able to do a good "kick" as the hands reach the hips. Also had to make sure that my arm does not cross the center line so as to avoid unnecessary side motion.

For my friends who expressed concern over the possible osteoarthritis, I am happy to report that my right knee is much improved after three days of glucosamine pills. Much less stiffness and no pain at night. :) Still, to be safe, I will be seeing my GP after I get home.

My take is that we often take our well being for granted. The farmer may occasionally twist his ankle, but hopes not to break his leg. Likewise for the soldier and athlete. So every time we are able to go out to run, bike or swim, let's give thanks. As a friend said to me once, it is the joy of training rather than the competing that spurs him on. Amen.

No comments: