Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bike fit and saddle position

In response to Lotus Fire's query, here's what I learnt about bike fit and saddle position. First, a qualifier. I am a newbie to biking, so this is from my very limited knowledge and experience. Experienced folks out there please correct me if I am wrong, or share your expertise!

Bike fit cannot be underscored, especially when we are going to spend hours on the bike (for those keen on longer endurance events). I went to a bike shop that has friendly knowledgeable cyclists willing to spend time sharing and listening. The bike folks made the necessary measurements before setting the saddle height. As a rule of thumb, one should be able to pedal through the bottom of the stroke without completely straightening your knees, and without rocking your hips on the saddle. Another check is to drop a plumb line from knee that passes through the pedals.

As for reach, the guide is to position the handlebars so they block views of front hubs. My initial impression is that I am too forward (having used only mountain bikes in the past). but I now realize that it is normal. In fact, I find that moving forward a little can add power and leverage.

I experimented around some and it took some time to get comfortable. I also had experienced bikers look at my position and sought out their views. A good article by Peter Jon White on "How to Fit a Bicycle" may be useful reading.

The other thing I discovered over the past 6 months or so is that there is so much to learn about bike mechanics, technology, training, techniques, etc that it would take time to appreciate and master. So the adventure continues ...

No comments: