Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Phuket half marathon 2007

June 17, 2007

So this was it! My second distance event - in Phuket! Thanks to G, the friendly trainer at Laguna gym, who brought my attention to this race. Second visit in 7 months.. the first being in Dec 2006.

About 3000 runners for this event. Started at 6 am (7 am Sin time). Rained quite heavily from the start, and stopped after about 5k. Paced a SAFRA female runner for about 7k to the village (read somewhere that it is a good idea to pace female runners!), then another Thai runner to 9k turn around. 10k @1:02, which is a good time. Weather was cool and comfortable. Took a gel at 8k, and stepped up the pace a little.



Two slopes at about 15k, and I was glad I trained on hills last week (Bintan). Didn't stop. Relied mainly on my endurance drink and sweets. Second gel at 16k.
Last 5k trailing an older runner. Overtook him, but he caught up and ended strong.

After Allamanda (waved to R and kids!), it was via the Wedding chapel through the canal village. Cramps starting coming in during the last k, but I thought I had a decent chance to finish at 2:07 or so. My own time at finish was 2:08, although the official time was 2:09.18. Great conditions, and I didn't really feel tired (that's not what my better half thought!) Felt a strong sense of accomplishment, unlike the first half.



Ave HB 161, max 188. Official net time: 2:08:36. Position: 173/415.
Second and third place finishers were in the 50-59 years category with 1:40 time. Remarkable!

Some full marathon runners came in at about 6 hours. Guess there is hope for me. In addition, there was a runner dressed as a samurai (availabe on YouTube) that the boys found fascinating. Read their account of the event on

david's account

ethan's account

Honor Roll: Mizuno Wave Precision 8. Served with distinction, and retired shortly.

YouTube Video:

No comments: