Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Marathon Gauntlet

mar·a·thon 马拉松赛
n
A cross-country footrace of 26 miles, 385 yards (42.195 kilometers).
A contest of endurance. An event or activity that requires prolonged effort or endurance.

Why run a marathon?
It is the ultimate fitness challenge (ultras and ironmans not included)
It is "there" like the highest mountain or the tallest building.
It is reported that only 0.137% of the population (USA) has completed a marathon.
If Oprah Winfrey can do it, so can I.
To prove my running mettle.
The fascination of going beyond our limits.
Considered a Herculean endeavor and an amazing achievement.


It seemed like a natural progression, considering that I would have completed three halfs by then. And there's the badge of honor / bragging right factor... associated with completing a 42k (I was thinking of the coveted finisher T). Doing a marathon represents my mount Everest, it represents the pinnacle of physical challenge, and it seems so insurmountable.

So I signed up for the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon scheduled for Dec 2, 2007 quite shortly after registration opened. At that time, the only people I knew who had completed a marathon were KHW (my colleague and inspiration), CS and her husband BS (who are in Virginia) and SM (who did this more than 2 decades ago).

Reactions:
My better half: You crazy or what?
My kids: How far is a marathon?
M: No way!
TC: Not for me!
My doctor/GP raised an eyebrow and declared that marathon is an extreme sport. At least he did not stop me from this insane idea.
Many others probably sniggered and laughed behind my back.

Next, I did my best research on training programs, and structured a 16-week program that would bring me to the next mountain in my journey of a thousand miles.


The Spirit of the Marathon (YouTube)

"It will change your life forever."

No comments: