Wednesday, May 28, 2008

imaRunner: Shadow

"I'm long winded and full of contradictions but hi....." is the title of this post by Shadow in the SGRunners new members section, May 24, 2008.

How I got started.

I used to be quite active in sports when I was in school. I did ok when I was doing my national service (way way back when number 4 uniform was merely tucking out our number 3 uniform. It was only later that the temasek green number 4 was introduced. Anyway, I ORD in 1980.) Then, over the years, I became lazy and got distracted by work. Subsequently, I was blessed with a wonderful wife and, after several years, two lovely children. And in the course of my work, I was also posted overseas. My fitness level plummeted.

I realised how unfit I was when I struggled with my first IPPT running. (I admit that I did not train before going for the test.) So, my jogging journey began. But just short distances. Enough for me to do well for my IPPT.

My health did not really improve much. Any my bad cholesterol level started to creep up. Almost to the point where I needed medication. (This is genetic as most of the male members in my family have high LDL.) I realised that I really needed to take a close hard look at my lifestyle and physical condition. But, for some unknown reasons, I continued to run short distances of around 5k, albeit on a very regular basis (at one point in time, 7 days a week, including CNY!) I marveled at and respected those athletes from my NS brigade who prepared for and took part in the AHM. But, I did just that – marveled and respected. I took no actions to be involved. I cannot recall why. Perhaps, I was still very busy with work. Or perhaps, I thought the distance was beyond my (physical and mental) capabilities. For whatever reasons, I remained an uncommitted jogger (I’m NOT a runner, for sure). I’m also not sure why I did not even try to read up and research more on endurance running.

One fine day, I laced up my jogging shoes and decided to jog further than my usual 5km. I felt good. Soon I started looking forward to increasing the distance gradually over time. Then, I completed 10km. (A distance that we used to do when I was in NS. So, it took my many years to get back to where I was!) In 2003, I decided to sign up for the Nike Real Run (as it was then known). I was given the bib but did not even know that I was supposed to pin it to my running tee until I arrived at Sentosa on the day of the race. I did not even bring safety pins with me and some kind soul gave me 2 pins – just enough to pin the bib to my running tee. (You see, during my younger days, bibs were in the form of cloth and not paper!) I enjoyed my slow jog so much that I decided to join the AHM. And in the same year, I signed up and completed my first full marathon. I did not really train for both events as I did not know how. When my friend told me that he did long runs, I thought he meant running for one hour or so! And that’s what I did. I did not train beyond 15km per run when I lined up to run in the 2003 SCSM. I thank God that I completed it in one piece.

The next year, I was so busy that I could hardly find time to train or even exercise. I registered for the SCM but had to skip it as I did not want to kill myself. Needless to say, my fitness level dropped! My loving wife saw how tired and gaunt I had become. One day, she physically dragged me to a nearby gym and forced me to sign up a gym membership. Well, having paid a relatively large sum of money, I decided to use the gym as often as I could during lunch time. I spent most of my time on the cardio machines, in particular the treadmills. I also did a lot of lunges and tried to improve my core muscles. That year, I was still an overworked employee and I did my entire running in the gym. Of course, my timing deteriorated but I was just happy to be able to complete the SCSM. I vowed to train harder for the next SCSM! But it did not materialise because of my office workload. However, I did train as much as I could, albeit still grossly insufficient.

I started to sign up for races – in part to motivate myself to train but largely so that I will not procrastinate. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. So far, I have almost always under trained going into races. But then, again, my goal has always been to compete with myself and myself only. Nevertheless, I often tell myself to be more disciplined and focussed. I do draw up nice plans but invariably, I would get injured or ill along the way and I have thus far not being able to stick (largely) to my plans. Again, I thank God that He has seen me through the various runs, including 3 more marathons and half marathons since I started to run longer distances in 2003.

So, after all the ramblings, why do I keep running (actually, jogging is a more appropriate word)? I do so because I must take good care of my body. This sport also teaches me discipline, patience, focus, perseverance and gratitude (actually the list goes on and on). Why do I take part in competitions? To challenge and push myself before I am physically unable to participate in such competitions anymore. Am I happy? Sure, I am. I have been blessed bountifully. But having said all these, life is definitely more than running and taking part in competitions. All things must be done in moderation. One thing is for sure, if I can do it, so can anyone else!

Take good care and have a speedy recovery, brother!

imaRunner is a series about ordinary people and their not-so-ordinary running achievements.

No comments: