Wednesday, May 28, 2008

imaRunner: poison1

Having just joined SGRunners, I came across many interesting and inspirational posts from fellow runners. This is from poison1, posted on April 2, 2008 in the new members section titled "Sharing My Short Running History".

Hi fellow Runners,

This is my first post in SGRunners' Forum.

I was inspired by many runners in this forum and I thought I can share my albeit short running history hoping to inspire others who will be going for their maiden FM.

I am a 39 yr old who took up running 6 months ago, to be exact, 2 months before the SCSM2007.
I was dared by my colleague to do the HM at SCSM2007.
I had never run more than 6km in my life before that moment, and I hardly did any regular exercise except raising my beer mug to toast.

However, the moment i decided that I would go for the HM, I put in a training sked and stick religiously to it.
I cut down my intake of alcohol, and watched my diet as i trained.
I had exactly 8 weeks then, to beat myself into shape, physically and mentally. I knew it wouldnt be an easy feat and I expected the sacrifices to come with it. I travels for work and therefore i had to be doubly-disciplined with my training.

My training was taxing, but i enjoyed every minute of it.
When the big day came, I have done myself proud by finishing the HM in 2hr27min (all running no walk).
My knees were so sored for the next 2 days and I could hardly walk fast.

Feeling inspired, I enrolled for the sundown marathon this year.
Have been a bit slacked (clocking only 20km/week) after the SCSM but since 2 months back, i have been stepping up on my training.
My friends said that I am crazy, but every negative comment, become my motivation- to prove them wrong.

Dont be mistaken, I do not underestimate the physically demanding aspect of the marathon, especially when I am at this age. I made calculated risk by training hard for the event, by not going in unprepared physically and mentally.

I draw up my own training sked; I map my own route; I run alone; i motivate myself; i pat myself on my back when I think i have done a good session.
Sure, there are moments where I have self doubts, and I still do have them. I choose to overcome them by training (within limits of course), what is a better way to do it?!

Currently, I run about 3-4 times per week or about 40km/week, when my travel sked permits.
I do 1 LSD every fortnightly. The last was 21km (2hrs 10mins with 2 water breaks) and I am looking forward to my midnight LSD of 25km this Friday.
I start incorporating a MR10km (PB 1hr5mins) into my weekly sked 2 months back. I am not sure how much it will help : ) but i definitely in love with running the MR trails.
I do a MLR (about 13-15km) the week i dont do LSD.

I hope I can finish my maiden FM in one piece (see! I still have self doubt) but secretly, I hope to finish sub-5hrs without killing myself.

I remember reading somewhere, running a Marathon requires the least natural talent, just lots of hard work.

Run Safely and Stay Healthy!

Cheers!

For more blogs from poison1, please see:
http://workingdonkey.blogspot.com/

imaRunner is a series about ordinary people and their not-so-ordinary running achievements.

No comments: