Wednesday, May 28, 2008

imaRunner: Gouldian

Posted by Gouldian on SGRunners new members section, May 20 2008:

Hello everyone,

"You are not a good runner", was told so by many people from primary school teacher to my army instructors. But nevertheless, still struggle with it since its for health and money (IPPT ) but have never been setting targets or running regularly.

However, I make a personal resolution begining of this year (mid-life crisis???) to ensure that I can keep myself fit and at the same time motivate my sons when they grow older. Started with 2-3km runs round my area in morning before my kids wakes up. Notice great results - suddenly I can fit into my favourite pair of Levis, not to mention losing 2 kg within 3 months!

Decided to up the ante by going longer distance and at the same time register for some running events.

I am now preparing for my 1st 10km run this coming 8 June (Singapore Passion Run). I have also registered for the 10km Safra Bay Run.

I hope that through joining this forum, I will be able to learn from the experienced runners here.


A number of SGRunners responded to Gouldian's post, among which was this:


I can well identify with you as I was never athletic or sporty in school. Military service shaped me up some, but with work, family commitments, etc, exercise became low priority. After a hiatus of more than 12 years, I took up jogging/running to lose weight. Yes, that's my version of mid life crisis!

That was more than 3 years ago. Now, after 3 HM and one M later, I can't imagine NOT running. Ok, ok. It's closer to jogging!

BFG note: Keep running, bro.

Soon enough you have a new problem: your old jeans won't fit anymore. Either buy new jeans or alter (to save money!)


imaRunner is a series about ordinary people and their not-so-ordinary running achievements.

No comments: