Wednesday, May 28, 2008

imaRunner: Uncle Hock

"There'll always be another marathon." 

That's what Uncle Hock, whom I met at last year's New Balance Real Run (Oct 2007) told me.

I met him while queuing up for the john. Yes, it was a long queue, and some of us in the line started to make small talk. The gentleman behind me was Uncle Hock.

The first thing Uncle Hock asked me was to guess his age. I took a good look. About 1.65m, slender built, balding (like me). Under 60 was my guess. Uncle Hock had a sparkle in his eyes when he told me that he was almost 70 years old. He had ran more than 15 full marathons ("full, not half!" he reiterated). Wow. To me, who had only completed a half, that was something.

I asked him for the secret to his longevity. He told me two key points:
1) Listen to your body
2) There'll always be another race/marathon

I'll rememer that for a long long time. Frankly, I am not sure if I can still remember that when I am 70, but I'll try.

That was when I realize what running for life means.

PS: I met Uncle Hock at the 2007 SCSM. So he has completed at least 16 now! Way to go, Uncle Hock!

imaRunner is a series about ordinary people and their not-so-ordinary running achievements.

No comments: