Saturday, July 4, 2009

TLog: ticks, H1N1 and Tour de France

Missed five days of training due to travel, fever, body ache, sores and swollen feet. Fever started on the last day in Stockholm, and with the prevalence of the H1N1 flu virus, I was pondering the prospects of an extended stay in Scandinavia or Bangkok (transit stop). But got back to SIN I did, only to get a high fever (>38 deg) on Monday night. At the same time, I noticed a couple of sores on my legs, which developed puss. More sores erupted on Tue and Wed, and my feet started ballooning and turning purple.

So is it H1N1 or is it some insect (wood tick?) bite? No way to tell, but my guess is the latter... recall the run in the park/wood? It was no fun reading up about all the diseases that wood tick bites could cause.

The long and short of it all is that I recovered on Thu and the sores healed or were healing. Promptly went out for a 38 km bike ride on Fri. Did a 1.3 km swim today, and looking forward to another ride tomorrow morning.

Today is also the start of 2009 Tour de France. And I borrowed two books from NLB to update myself on why so many people around the world are so fascinated with this. My humble perspective is from the NUS slopes, a gentle slope in comparison to the climb up Mt Ventoux (Stage 20). This is an intimidating 21.1-km ascent at 7.6 percent, with strong winds over the last part of the climb. Mt Ventoux is back in TDF after an absence of several years.

Ok. I think I am getting it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad you are recovered and exewrcising again. i'll be watching the tdf also, and hope to see a couple of stages as my uncle lives in france