Monday, July 13, 2009

MBH & Chrissie Wellington

"Come run with me," said MBH last evening after we got back from work. It was my day off. Last weekend, MBH remarked that I had not been working out as hard as before. I was just getting back into the swing of things, I had tried to explain.

MBH's next statement: "Don't be lazy! It's a nice evening to run."

How could I not? So dutifully I changed up, put on my ASCIS and we went out for a nice easy 4 km run/jog. :)

Sometimes, we get a kick in the butt from the least expected source. So be it. And I'm thankful for that.

One of the things we talked about was MBH's goal of doing a half marathon some time. Her logic is that serious runners go beyond 10 km. 5 km is "play-play" distance.

Just the other day, my friend JN mentioned that he went for a short 5 km run. It's a sure tell-tale sign - that the person has gone from recreational running to something more serious.

A tipping point.

Speaking of tipping point, coach told me today about Chrissie Wellington (GBR) setting a new world record for women Ironman. 8:31:59 at the Quelle Roth Challenge, Germany. Truly amazing feat. For a long time, women IM triathletes found it hard to break the 9 hour barrier. Chrissie won the 2007 and 2008 World Ironman Championship (on a Cervelo P2!), with winning times of 9:08 and 9:06. She went under 9 hours only twice previously - 8:51 at 2008 European Championship and 8:57 at Ironman Australia 2009, so the new record is a HUGE leap ahead! Congratulations.

Read more at Chrissie's website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to reach that point in one's development where 5km running is not enough... nothing beats a new training challenge... Good luck to MBH with the new challenge...