Saturday, July 18, 2009

Exploring new bike route: 40k eastern loop

It was exactly 6 am as I walked into the Simei coffee shop for some 100 plus and breakfast. Had just completed a 1 km brick run session after almost 40 km on the bike, and felt hungry. So it was a pack of nasi lemak, my first in many months. A reward for waking up at 3:30 am.

Actually I meant to wake up at 4:30 am but made a mistake setting the alarm. Only realized my mistake when I walked into the kitchen for my morning coffee (no food ok, but no coffee not ok). Momentarily thought of going back to sleep, but heck, earlier is better, right?

Really did not expect to see other cyclists on the road at 4 am in the morning, but I was not the only crazy guy. Saw one cyclist on the PCN along Changi coastal road, and a few more along Loyang Ave. Also saw two cars parked by the road side. One car stopped by the coastal road occupying one whole lane and did not even have its lights on. I almost bumped into it. Clearly it was occupied. No, I didn't take a good look inside the car :) I was more upset about the inconsiderateness of the driver.

Took the P2 out this morning and still trying to get used to riding in the aero position. Will be some time before I get comfortable.

The change this time is not to loop back as I had done last week. Instead, went up Loyang Avenue. There's a stretch about 1 km long before the Loyang Link/Pasir Ris Drive 3 junction that provides a good climb. Took a left on Loyang Link into Upper Changi/Selarang. 2 km of undulating (3 short climbs) terrain here before going back to Loyang Ave for a second crack at the slope.

Turned right into Pasir Ris Drive 3, then left on Drive 12 onto Tampines Ave 10. At Bedok Reservoir, I discovered a wonderful route to train for next year's 70.3, The Kaki Bukit Viaduct! A serendipitous discovery.

Tampines Ave 10 led into Bedok North Road after the PIE flyover, and I exited on New Upper Changi Road. Quite on impulse, I turned left into Jalan Tanjong before the Tanah Merah MRT to get another crack at climbing. This one up to Upper Changi road is only half a klick but another good slope to attack.

Then back home for a quick change for the brick workout.


View Larger Map

I wouldn't want to use the Bedok stretch during rush hour, as the traffic would be too heavy. But it was fine so early in the morning.

Ave speed: 23.8; max speed 39.4. Ave HR: 136; max 166

No comments: