Friday, July 31, 2009

Garmin 310XT: first impressions


After months of waiting, I finally got my hands on the Garmin 310XT. It's smaller but slightly heavier than the Forerunner 305, but the display is clearer with adjustable backlight. The display screen is about the same. A solid feel to it. Comes with the wireless ANT transmitter for synchronizing.

The HRM is different from the non-water proof HRM. It is similar to the newer Polar HRM - the HRM device is a small 2x1" attachment that secures to the belt. Lighter than Polar's HRM, felt rather plasticey.

There is a running activity, three biking activities and one others (with a ski pix, but I use it for swim). Does this mean that I can have three bikes? Perhaps a mountain bike? Each bike can be customized for weight and tracked for mileage. Nice.

I fancy that the satellite tracking is much faster than the 305. And there's a transition when switching screens - like a ppt transition.

So how does it perform in workouts? I only had the chance to bring it out for a ride yesterday (30k), and it performed no differently from the 305. This evening I swam with the 310.

Kinda felt silly with a HRM belt around my chest while doing laps in the pool, but all in the name of fair testing. First, the HRM does not work under water. Pop out of water, and the 310 immediately picks up the heart rate. Go back in, and the blanks come back on.

Second, the distance reading was way off. After one lap (50m), the watch registered 600m. I attribute this to the satellite tracking error. This meant that the auto lap function is useless while swimming in the pool. Other than these two hiccups, the watch worked well ... it IS waterproof, but I have yet to bring it to 50m depth! :) But that would be scuba diving, wouldn't it?

View lap swim on Garmin connect.

Getting the data transfered to Garmin Connect was quite straightforward. But have to first download the Garmin ANT agent program. Plug in the wireless receiver, and as long as the 310 is within 10m, it'll sync.

What else? The other features are pretty standard - virtual partner, location markers, back to start, customizable display fields, auto lap, auto pause, auto scroll, cadence sensor... oh yes, there's a power feature. I guess it is for power taps. Not there yet... too expensive.

Next, to test the multi sport feature on Sunday. Stay tuned. :)

Read my open water test for the 310XT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy new device. Looking forward to a review when you've used your 310XT a few times. I am very happy with my replacement 405. It rocks

Workingdonkey said...

Hi BFG,

Hm...i own a 305 and am thinking of upgrading to the XT. The only concern i have with the 305 is the size, but i just like the orange on the XT. I am an orange man, the colour, i mean.