Monday, February 2, 2009

Recovery week

Not sure if others experience the same thing, but during the third week of training, I'd start looking forward to the recovery week (4th week). However, before the recovery week is up, I'd start doing more than I'd supposed to. Hhmm.. maybe add another short run here, another bike session there.

So I found myself in a similar position today ... toying with the idea of doing something. Kinda have to remind myself that rest and recovery are also part and parcel of training. Essential aspect, in fact, as the body needs periods of rest to become stronger. Also, recovery prevents the ills associated with over-training. Better to be slightly undertrained than overtrained, is a good mantra to follow, especially when we plan to engage in this sport for a long time.

So now I have to learn the discipline of rest. Active rest ... with lots of stretching throughout the day, particularly for these old bones. :)

Did I mention that MBH has signed up for the woman's 10 km run during the Sundown marathon? We went for another 5 km run yesterday, and she remarked that she's increasingly surprised that 5 km runs weren't so bad after all. The first km or two is a struggle, but once the momentum is there, it gets easier. I fully agree. Guess that's how adaptable God made our bodies to be!

No comments: