Monday, February 23, 2009

Shimano R300 road test

Felt restless this morning and decided to go for an easy spin... with my new Shimano R300 shoes. Yulp. Last two bike sessions were on the Minoura M80-DW Magnetic Indoor Bike Trainer (that shaved off so much rubber from the rear tire!), and enough already of trainers. Off on to the tracks/PCN!

All fine for the first 5 km, until just before the ECP tunnel. Unclipped the right leg first. But all along I unclipped the left first. Not sure what happened, but the next thing I knew, I was falling to the left. Good thing there was a chain linked fence and narrow strip of grass there. All that hurt was my pride. :)

Further along NSRCC, I met up with another cyclist on a mountain bike. Chatted some - about biking, bike tours, children, etc, before A turned back at the exhibition road. Made it to Changi village and rode back without incident.

And how did cycling shoes help? A significant difference, to say the least. Pedaling at just 70 rpm, I was able to reach 30 kph (albeit on the large gear). And with headwind.

At the outdoor camp near to NSRCC were many school children learning to skate. Almost fell! Luckily I managed to unclip the right shoe in time to keep my pride intact. Third time not so lucky, so I took it easy all the way back. A little saddle sore, since I haven't been doing long rides for some time (2 hours).

In the afternoon, I went down to Rodalink Jurong East to get the shoes custom-fitted. Two stage process - oven heat the insoles. then stand and walk with the shoes for shaping. Next heat up the shoes, and after donning the shoes, a plastic bag is used to cover the shoes. Vacuumed to fit. All done in 30 min.

Rodalink JE is a big store - with friendly staff. Took the opportunity to look at some racing wheels, tires, gears, etc. Durace carbon wheels and Fulcrum racing zero wheels are ... nice!

No comments: