Tuesday, April 6, 2010

TLog: back to long runs

Received the overview of my training plan for SD, and it is both expected and unexpected. Expected: mileage buildup with back to back long runs, the highlight of which would be two 42km btb runs followed by a 60km run a few days later. Unexpected: my race plan of keeping HR below 140 is thrown out of the window. In its place HR of 150, a stepped up intensity from WDWM training.

Coach has a target race time in mind, and I almost fell off my chair when I read it this morning. Too embarrassing to declare the target here. Some things are best kept private. Let's just say that I would work toward that target but I'm going to keep my original strategy as the fall back plan.

Anyway, after all that hot long runs to prep for Aviva, it was a joy to run in the cool evenings. More so because of the recent rain. Yesterday's 18km run felt - dare I say it - relatively easy. In this evening's short 5 km run at HR150, pace went as fast as 6:04. Just a temporary blip after two weeks of R&R. Let's see how I feel after a few more weeks of high mileage runs.

One friend commented recently that I don't write much about running these days. Guilty as charged. The fact is that I find cycling to be a lot more fun, especially with the FOTRers. But running is the inescapable core, providing the best mode for retrospection and meditative therapy.

It is good to return to the core.

No comments: