Thursday, September 24, 2009

TLog: Be careful what you wish for

So I was lamenting that I wasn't doing enough trail runs, and when I read my training program for this week - yes you'd guessed it - coach prescribed four trail sessions!

Wed: Explored the jungle trail at Tampines MTB. It's more like some of the Zhenghua trails - narrow and windy. There are a number of wooden bridges/rams for bikers to get their highs. Most are short and straight but the curved ramps are more interesting. One sharp curve is angled ... ought to be fun. Each extended loop (perimeter + jungle trail) is about 3.7km. Did 2 loops plus a cursory run up the slopes to make 10km.

Thu: 1hr 45 min run, which turned out to 2hr 15 min.

MacRitchie reservoir at 7 am in the morning is really pretty. But many tai-chi enthusiasts were already there. I thought the mist floating above the reservoir was so reminiscent of the scene we saw at the control towers lake during our Monday's ride. However when I took another look at the sky above the mist, it was strangely dark. Just 100m into the trail, I knew it was going to storm. The light became so dim that I could hardly see.. it's like twilight, minutes before dark.

It felt like running in a temperate country. The temperature inside the nature reserve would have been lower than 20 deg C.

The weather held up for a good hour, before it drizzled and then poured. Buckets. "Why is it that it usually rain when I run trails?" I asked rhetorically. Of course! The trails are in the nature reserve. And nature reserve collects water for the reservoirs. Duh.

For the first time I turned right toward Rifle Range Link. That segment is rocky, with a small stream and make-shift steps up a brown slippery bank. I took a turn after the bank junction on the right (there were two pillars at the entrance), but that led me to a path besides a wide downstream canal (with teeth at the end of every step). The path became narrower as I went, and my suspicion was confirmed. This path led to a dead end (electrified?) fence with a no trespassing sign on it.

Back tracked and took the left path instead. This turned out to be the right one, and stopped at another military-like camp and a well paved road. The map said that this road would lead to Bt Timah Nature Reserve, so I went down the road. Up and down. Not fun, considering that my trail shoes were well and stiff. Met a Caucasian runner, and we seemed to be the only two crazy souls running in the heavy rain.

Made a u-turn even though I wanted to go to the end of Rifle Range Road, coz of another appointment at the office. The way back was more challenging as I had puddles to contend with. I avoided puddles as I could not tell what's under, and didn't want to risk a twisted ankle.

By the time I got back to golf link, the rain had subsided, but not the swishy sounds of my wet shoes. So much for goretex.

Oh yes, I must mention the lovely song birds - must be dozens of them - singing and congregated among trees along one section of the golf course. Delightful.

And I could have been mistaken that I was not in Singapore: met 6 caucasian ladies - two pairs running together, and another two by themselves. These two passed me during the last stretch. One had a nice perfume on. Perfume for a run? Then there was a group of three caucasian guys running in clockwise direction about 2 km from the end. Not to mention several others. There was a pair of French (?) guys even. I also recall seeing a high proportion of non-locals at the progressive run. There must be some cultural thing about trail running, no?

Pretty much drained by the time I reached back to the carpark. 15 km, averaging a shade below 9 min/km pace.

Would my legs hold out for Saturday's 30 km run? We'll see.

No comments: