Saturday, May 2, 2009

TLog: TriZEN fun ride and intervals

Labor day, May 1
Swine flu notwithstanding, I met the TriZEN group at F2 car park along east coast for a fun ride. There were 8 bikers of us in two groups. I wanted to join the slow group, but Kelvin (who led the Trizen swim at Sentosa earlier in the year) would have none of it. So I joined Kelvin's group with another 3 bikers.

Henry is training for the SD 84k (second attempt) and IM. All the others had lots of experience in the 70.3, IM Langkawi, etc. Kevin had a spanking new Specialized tri bike. And there were a Ceepo, an Orbea and other nice bikes. And mine was the only road bike without aero bars!

One and a half loops with turnaround at the Changi Ferry Terminal and at the Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal. We went in a line, with bike-length drafting. It wasn't too close, which suited me fine, as this was my first time drafting. And yes, it was easier. Going at 30 kph didn't feel all that hard. :)

I had some mechanical trouble with my front wheel / calipers at the TMFT turn, and so didn't join the group for the second leg. Kenny stopped by to chat - he was the last biker and also had some trouble with his bike. Nice bunch of guys, and I really enjoyed the ride.

View Larger Map
May 2
Back to intervals. 5x400m. Target to reach 1.35, but only managed to do that for 3 laps:
1.26, 1.32, 1.36. 1.43. 1.39 (ave: 1.35)

For my own benefit, the first lap was 2 sec better than my last best. Did it feel tough? You bet, especially the last two laps. But recovery was faster.

I still don't like intervals, but they are getting slightly easier. So we'll see.

No comments: