Saturday, May 16, 2009

TLog: hills, brick and speedwork

Sat early morning, headed to NUS to avoid the traffic. But the NUS buses were still plying although in fewer numbers. Even so I took a stumble at the bus terminal along Prince George's Park as two buses were reversing and I slowed too much. Nothing serious, just a couple of scratches.

The first lap was not too bad. Many riders were doing the South Bouna Vista circuit and were going the other way from me. A few were struggling from the exertion. One in particular, stopped at the junction of S B V and Prince George's Park, and was still there when I did my third loop.

Anyway, I share his pain. Coz that was how I felt after two loops. HR was way up in 180s. and I took a few minutes breather after my second loop at Kent Ridge Drive. The third loop was agony, and boy was I glad to crest Kent Ridge high point.

At the car, I did a quick change. As quick as crampy legs and arms (and even hands!) would allow me to. It wasn't much of a brick workout as the slopes took too much out of me. Only a slow 1 km run was about all I could muster. :(


Speedwork: 6x400m intervals, target of 1.33 average. OMG! "Coach is really pushing me!" was what I thought when I read the training program. An additional rep and 1 sec faster average? I was really doubtful when I started out this morning. The sun was out and it was about 8:30 am. Not my favorite time to do intervals. Any way, here's how it went:

1.29.75, 1.32.55, 1.30.29, 1.34.29, 1.35.16, 1.33.92 (ave: 1.32.2)

Well, believe it or not, I managed to hit the target! The dispersion narrowed, no where near my fastest but well down from the slowest rep last time. :)

What was it that coach said? "I told you you can do it. Now that I know you better as an athlete, these aims are achievable."

Somewhat odd, as I don't think of myself as an athlete.

No comments: