Friday, May 8, 2009

TLog: De Soto speedsuit and Kent Ridge slopes

How did the De Soto speedsuit work out? It was impossible to tell under OWS environment, so Tue was the real test - in the controlled environment of the swimming pool.

First off, the warm up laps 300m - 1.02, 1.02, 1.05, 1.04, 1.04, 1.04. I was quite amazed to be honest. Usually I took 1.05 to 1.15 per 50m warm up.

Next, pull with buoy - 1.00, 0.58, 0.59, 0.59. Three laps under 1 min, which is quite remarkable for me.

The main set, 10x100m with one min recovery: 2.00, 2.03, 2.03, 2.10, 2.12, 2.12, 2.07, 2.10, 2.14, 2.11 (ave 2.082). Compared with the last two 10x100m sets of 2.17 ave, this was significantly faster as well. Am I getting faster, or is it the speedsuit. Only one way to tell. My next swim will be without the speedsuit.

Other comments: The De Soto speedsuit definitely feels lighter than the 2XU endurance tri suit. I like the snug fit around the shoulders. No gap between the shoulder blades, and that should reduce drag. The thin pad is similar to that for the 2XU elite tri suit (the endurance tri suit has thicker padding).

Wed am: 10 sets of fast spinning for 5 min, 3 min recovery. Tough, tough. Managed only 9 sets.

Fri Kent Ridge slopes
Coach and I went for a recce on Thu - around his favorite training ground. Readers familiar with NUS would immediately recognize the route. First short slope up to Guild House, second long slope to the hostels, starting with a steep incline at the research institutes, with a short reprieve before climbing to South Bouna Vista Road. Rest a while on the turn into NUH.

Then the final slope - climbing up to the sports center, and then after the circle, the killer slope up to the highest point on Kent Ridge. Phew!

FIrst loop was discovery, and on the second loop, I started pacing my ride. However, the traffic had picked up by then (about 8 am) and at one point, I was riding with three buses, and inhaling all that CO2.

Thunder and lightning signaled impending storm, so I did not do the third loop, much to my relief!


View Larger Map

No comments: