Sunday, December 13, 2009

Stalling on a climb

Many times I had wondered what would happen when stalling on a climb? Other than falling off, I mean.

Unfortunately I found that out for myself last Saturday. It was a very steep slope. But because it was short, I didn't shift to the smaller chainring. About 3/4 of the way up, my momentum slowed to a crawl and I knew I was going down. Fortunately, this was on a bike path and there was a clear bank on the right. There were shrubs and a fence on the left. So I chose to go down on the right.

Other than a dent in my ego, I was unhurt. Another episode in my riding adventures to laugh over. :)

Back to the ride. It was meant to be a recovery ride after the long hard hilly ride last weekend and after two hard runs. So I chose to go up Torrens river by the bank. Figured the bike path would be easy.

However, Adelaide is such a small city that pretty soon, I was heading up the hills (again!). It was a gradual climb (100m over 15km), except for certain steep sections! Went as far up the bike path as I could. The last part was closed for repair works. Great views even with the limited height.



40km easy ride. The legs felt tight and crampy, though. And my right butt's still sore.

No comments: