Sunday, December 20, 2009

If I had only three more days left ...

End of the year wind-down brought about a pensiveness that did not become of me. Perhaps it was the packing to return home after my one-month mini sabbatical, or perhaps it was simply a tinge of sadness to leave a wonderful city that had been good to my family and me.

After a 10km easy run at HR145 (first 5km under 7 min pace, and the next about 7:30 on account of the higher temperature), it was the ritual saunter with the kids at the Oval where the boys kicked ball and played in the playground. Incidentally, there was this rather bemusing sign at the entrance of the playground.


Watching flocks of birds up in the clear blue sky, with the background din of music from the river, observing the occasional runner doing intervals, dogs and their faithful owners bringing them out for walks, and soccer enthusiasts milling about, it was a good moment to savor.

If I had only three more days left, I would not have done anything different - woke up early to make breakfast for the boys, attended service to say hi to some friends, lunch at Mario's (pizza and latte), a short afternoon nap (I was tired from this week's more intensive training), time with the family, a nice jog, rounded up with a cozy dinner cooked by my beloved wife and a nice glass of Barossa wine.

A day well spent. A year well lived.

No comments: