Sunday, December 6, 2009

'em HILLS!

What was supposed to be a 60km ride through Adelaide Hills turned out to be a 85km crank-till-I-drop hard ride. Elevation gain of 1,917 m, highest elevation reached of 545m (Ashton). The good news, of course is that I completed the ride without the C monster. The bad news is ... well, more about that later.

Met up with Chris at Tusmore at 6 am and had to borrow his jacket as the temperature was only 12 degree C. Met up with first year undergrad Shawn, who's studying sports engineering. Headed up north for Gorge Road that runs along Torrens River heading east. Chris told me the climb wouldn't be too bad, a little steeper but not as sustained as Norton Summit. Yes, it was manageable for the first main climb to Kangaroo Creek Reservoir. I cranked it up on my favorite combo for as long as I could, and then on the small chain ring.

Headed towards Gumeracha by way of Mannum Road. Looked for a store to replenish water, but everything was closed so early in the morning. It was undulating from Gumeracha to Lobethal, but reaching 40 km with ups and downs was taking its toll on me. At one point, Shawn gave me a hand literally, but pushing me uphill. He's very strong and fast - disappearing downhill like a torpedo.

According to Chris, this would be the same route for the open stage ride in the Down Under Tour next January. We took a long break at Lobethal, and then it was decision time. To go back the same way or through Norton Summit. Either way would take another 40 km. I was astounded. I knew it was a tough climb to Norton, but what the heck, might as well do it.

As it turned out, there were about 4 main climbs, first to Lenswood, then to Basket Range, then to Ashton. Never had I surmounted so many slopes. By this time, I had gotten a better hang of climbing - HR was high, breathing was hard, but I treated it as a long walk uphill, just cranking along at 10 ~ 12 kph. I almost cramped up during one of the climbs and had to stop to stretch. Good thing I did, otherwise I would have a long long way to walk.

Chris and Shawn were really gracious, waiting for me ever so often. I had admitted earlier that Singaporean riders like me looked good, but couldn't ride. They were very patient with me, encouraging me all the way.

The last major climb to Ashton was tough. And I found it was a good time to be thankful for all the blessings I'd. I couldn't describe the elation I felt when I saw Chris and Shawn waiting at the end of that climb.

After catching my breath, it was time to descend 2 km to Norton Summit, and then all the way down.

By the time we reached Chris' home, it was past 10:30 am. 4 and a half hours (riding time of 4 hours), and a gigantic effort for me. Longest and hardest ride thus far.

See ride in Garmin connect.

View of Adelaide in background from Norton Summit

Oh. The bad news. I forgot completely the stroke mechanics I learnt earlier, and Chris and Shawn had to remind me. Pull and push, smooth circular motion. That is the key to improving on climbs. Back to basics for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice report and i'm impressed at the effort you put in.