Wednesday, September 24, 2008

TLog: SLSK

SLSK is the swim version of KLKK ;)

Today's session was the longest thus far. Almost 1:40 for 20 laps. Why? The entire day, I had a crampy feeling in my right calf and my quads felt tight. So I decided to take it really slow. Hence SLSK.

The one thing I tried on the side drills was to take my time for the face to re-enter the water after breathing. Next, I focused on the rotating motion to breathe. I had been bobbing too much before, and had to re-straighten my position after every breathe. That was not right. Because I swam so slowly today, I had lots of time to breathe. That helped.

I also find that it helps to do a small downward rotation (face towards the bottom of the pool) first and then rotation up to breather. This accentuates the rotation feel (like a skewer through the head is the image I still remember!). It is analogous to the forward press before takeaway in the golf swing.

I was particularly pleased that I was able to hold my arm positions without the pull motion that I used previously. The downward pull tended to create vertical motion. Having eliminated that, the gliding motion is enhanced. This led me to think that perhaps I am getting the hang of it!

"Long, slow, smooth."

PS: The nose clip helps. I decided to get this after suffering through sinuses after every swim session. The water tends to get into my nose and the agitation stimulates mucus flow. Small price to pay ($7). Also got a swim cap. With the little hair I have left, it is worth the $30.

No comments: