Thursday, September 18, 2008

TLog: 20 km Long Run

Same plan as last week, a 20 km long run with a 1 km tempo at 9th km and a second 2 km tempo run at 18th and 19th km. The one difference is running drills - to start with a slight forward incline (reminiscent of chi running), and stride (forward thrust and knee-high backward kick). So for every km, I practiced this drill from a stationary start - which explains the big dips in HR every km - for about 100m.

Managed to keep HR closer to 140 throughout the run. Interestingly, the first tempo at 6:50 pace turned out easier than last week, and the ave HR for that was only 149. The second tempo run was harder that last week's - I attribute that to the weather. Today was clear sunny and hot, but last week was overcast and windy. I was alarmed that my HR rose so quickly on the first km of the second tempo run, but stabilized in the second km. Managed to come close to the target time of 11:48 -- just one sec over.



Happy to note a slight negative split today: 1:23 for first 10 km and 1:15 for second 10 km. [Slow, but hey, I'm old.] This is a new principle I learnt recently - to train in the lower HR zone (as well as the higher HR zone), hence increasing the effective HR range.

On the stride drills: I have not done the forward lean for some time, so it takes some getting used to. On the tempo runs, I could feel the increased pace. Key: thrust thighs forward, feet grip the ground and kick back.

Tried out the new 2XU compression shorts (what a surprise, I had to go with S size ... the first time ever. Boy do I like 2XU!) and gel bottle (2 packets) as well as the sponge MBH purchased from Guardian. [note: I discovered how useful sponging water over the head, face and shoulders can be during the Phuket race in June. So the plan is to carry a sponge for the long runs and races!] Worked like a charm for me this hot morning. :)

No comments: