Friday, September 5, 2008

LSD run and anaerobic threshold

The idea is to run below the anaerobic (lactate) threshold level. VO2max test indicates 137 bpm. But that appears a little low. So today's run is a little experiment to test the 137 LT.

For first 12 k, I maintained steady pace (7:30 min per km) with walk breaks of 100m every km. HR hovered about 140. The bridge over PIE after Siglap and after the "rolling hills" brought HR up to 155 and it averaged about 150 thereafter. Pace still at 7:30 average.

I didn't have any problem whatsoever. Perhaps the great cool weather - overcast, no sun, occasional light showers - helped. The stretch along east coast park was really enjoyable with the sea breeze.

I felt surprisingly good at the end of the run. Usually I would feel tired or heavy footed around the Pasir Ris fish pond stretch, but no such problem today. In fact, I felt good even after taking on the 700m slope leading to Loyang Avenue. Reward was 100 plus at the petrol kiosk. The last km I pushed a little before warm down.


View Larger Map

A 29k LSD after a 55k bike and a 12k interval training the two day before is not too shabby even though I say so myself.

Coach thinks that my LT should be higher as well. For now, I am guessing 150. We'll see.

No comments: