Sunday, August 23, 2009

TLog: hitting the trails and NE ride

NF100 training update. After an abortive start on Friday afternoon due to heavy rain and thunder storm, I managed to run MacRitchie Reservoir 10.5km trail on Saturday. Before that, I went for a short warmup run with folks from PMC at Pasir Ris. It had been one year since I ran at MR, and what a major change! Now there's this multi-story carpark (no complains, really, since parking is free and more lots are available) and it took me a while to orientate myself. Recognized the start of the trail run from the east-side and off I went.

There were many folks about - fellow runners (training for NF100 for sure, with their waterbags and compression tights), walkers, families with young children and even a baby in a stroller. It was a busy trail.

I went a little too fast in the beginning, and paid the price for it over the last two km. Didn't notice the wooden walkway after the ranger station last year. Hhhmmm... The flat stretch along the golf course was nothing exciting except for the sun. Last two slopes I walked up. HR was way high (over 210... must be some error with the watch, since I wasn't really panting that hard!). Overall a good run.

Sunday morning's plan for a Mandai ride with the roadie gang was dashed with another storm that started about 3 am. And it rained again in the late afternoon. Too many storms these days! Disappointed.

So I decided to make up for the ride on Monday morning. Out about 4:40 am to try a "new" route. Was praying that it wouldn't rain as I felt drizzle 5 min into the ride. Well, my prayer was answered. :)

Went via Old Tampines Road (nice & quiet) to Hougang, Seng Kang, Punggol (strong winds) and of course to Punggol Point. Clocked a max speed of 51.7 on the last slope towards Punggol Point. Quite a rush.

On the way back, I was a little lost, and had to backtrack three or four times.

The stretch along Hougang Ave 3 and Eunos Link was getting busy, with the early morning commute. Next time, I'd return via Old Tampines Road.

Almost all the way on big chainring, although cadence is on the low side (<80). 46km bike ride, ave 23 kph.

Looking forward to this week's long run (20k) and long ride (50+k). :)

PS: Found out that the high HR was caused by overhead electrical cables. I was worried for a day or two! :)

2 comments:

Workingdonkey said...

BFG, you going for the NF100 progressive run? I have registered but hope that i make it back from HK on time.

BFG said...

Yes, WD, I have signed up for the NF100 progressive runs - 20k and 30k. Hope you can make it back in time! See you there!