Friday, October 31, 2008

TLog: Recovery week

Adjusting the training schedule to fit traveling to the other side of the world and back is a bit of a challenge. But managed to complete all the sessions (barely!). Good thing this is recovery week.

So what's interesting? Nothing much except for the swim drills. While practicing swim drills in the indoor pool (first time for me!) in Chicago, I was surprised it took me just four strokes to cover 20 yards (18.83 m). This is the drill starting with flat, then side (one stroke), then flat again and then the other side (another stroke). Back in Singapore this week, I took about 6 strokes to cover 25 m. Initially, I took 7 strokes, but reduced that to 6 by the end of 6 laps.

That's good. Stroke elimination, just like in golf. I can relate to that.

I also noted the surge forward as I rotate to the side. This must be what Terry Laughlin refers to as power from the hip. Nice. Just like driving from the hip ala Tiger Woods. Again, I can relate to that.

Another pointer, again from Terry Laughlin's book on Total Immersion (thanks, M!), was yoga breathing. Inhale slowly, and then let your breath fall out. Relax for a moment, then inhale again. It worked well during my recovery at the wall. Tried it during today's easy 10 k run as well. Inhaled over three strides and exhaled over three as well (usual rhythm is 2-3). Worked to a satisfactory degree as well.

Before I forget, I also understand better what is meant by swimming by feel. Still work to be done, no doubt. More work needed also on the vanilla side.

Last but not least, I am pleased with today's pace of 7:30 to 7:45 even at HR<140. Even if only for 2 to 3 km. Now to achieve this pace for longer distances....

PS: swim notes -- tendency to forget about balance and allow legs and hip to sink. Got to consciously make sure hip is up during the flat position. When stroking, focus on extending the arm. That, together with the rotation, allows faster motion.

No comments: