Friday, October 17, 2008

TLog: new swim drills

I was really pleased to learn a new set of swim drills earlier this week. The drill is to swim flat for five kicks, rotate to one side (five kicks), flat again (five kicks) and rotate to the other side (five kicks). Sounded easy, but I had to work hard to get it.

Started with 2 laps of each drill learnt earlier, and 9 laps of the new drill (total of 15 laps).

This is what I discovered:

I started zigzagging initially. So I had to focus on keeping my line (follow the black stripe!). Found that it helps to keep face down when rotating, then turn head to the side, before turning up to breathe.

Bobbing motion is still present. The flat position allowed me to regain balance and the horizontal position tends to get perturbed while rotating to my right (my vanilla weak side). Also, my turn to breathe while on the rights needed more work... head tended to come up and hips and legs got lowered.

Quite interesting (surprising) to realize that I reached the end of the pool faster when I simply focused on smooth motion. Guess the body rotation is working.

Other key points from today's training:
Need to slow down and focus on compact and slow kicks. No need for speed or power. Easy does it.

Need to work out the stiffness in the right shoulder. Had to stretch hard to keep alignment on the right.

No comments: