Monday, October 20, 2008

1% improvements

Don Fink wrote about his experience one year, coming in 8th place in his age group, and while not quite disappointed, he was hoping for a top three placing. His results came in and looking at the timing of the third place competitor, he realized that his timing difference of 1 min 40 sec is only 1% slower. "Can I get 1% faster?" Of course.

He started having many ideas and ways to become 1% faster. And he started having successes. The point is this: forget about the peak and focus completely on the very next step in the climb.

The 1% improvement concept is not limited to athletics. Can I perform 1% better at my job? Can I be a 1% better husband? Can I be a 1% better person?

Certainly. If so, start listing down the ways and take action.

No comments: