Wednesday, October 22, 2008

BFG Rave Runs: Chicago

No, not the Chicago marathon (I wished!). Visiting CME and DePaul U, and took the chance to do a 15-km tempo run along the famous Lakeshore Drive along Lake Michigan.


View Larger Map

Started a little late, at 8 am, to avoid the cold. But cold it was. Officially 42 degree F (5 deg C), but with the wind chill, it was colder. Had my windbreaker and cap on. Fortunately, it was sunny, with some cloud cover.

Headed towards Lakeshore Drive bike track. Known as Lakeshore trail. Went north through the bridge and by the Navy pier. Further north on Oak St beach to the southern tip of Lincoln Park. About 7 km. HB was excellent (other than the erratic jump for the first 2 km), less than 140 for the last 2 to 3 km. And yet pace was good, about 6:15.

View of Navy Pier on the right

View of Oak St beach

Chicago skyline (John Hancock Center with twin antenna masts)


Turnaround point

Only when I turned around did I realize why. All the time, I had the wind on my back. After the U-turn, I ran into the wind. And what a difference. It was hard going. Had to push it just to maintain the 6:20 pace. HR above 145 - 150. No wonder the cyclists appear to be struggling against the wind. This was the first time I experienced head wind while running! Found out later that the wind speed as 14 mph (22 kmph)! Now I understand why some runners "complain" about running against the wind.

More Chicago skyline from Jackson Blvd

Legs felt stiff, initially the right thigh and later both thighs. I should have a longer warmup and stretch. Hands were really cold, and nose started running after 6 km. Not a fun run. But this is getting out of the comfort zone!

1 comment:

Lotus Fire said...

I agree running against the wind is no fun. It was fascinating at first but thats all. I got a bad headache from it when the air was a little cold. Lucky you, this is a scenic route!