Monday, June 23, 2008

Lessons learnt from the journey of past 12 months

It has been 12 months since I commenced training for 42 km. I had the opportunity to share my experience with some youths recently, and here are the key lessons that I learnt:


Necessary but insufficient conditions

  1. Hard work: Running is one of the most physically demanding activities/sports that I have engaged in. We have to pay our dues or pay the price, or risk injuries. There is no short cut, unfortunately. The hours and mileage required to condition the body in order to endure the 42 km meant having to put in up to 90 km per week for training.
  2. Pushing the Limits: Endurance sports require pushing one’s limits both physically and mentally. KHW, Singapore's deca-ironman said, "Fatigue is my best training partner!"
  3. Well structured training program: A good program comprises different types of runs: tempo, speedwork, LSD and easy recovery runs. I learnt to regard runs as unbreakable appointments: Schedule your priorities and prioritize your schedule. I may reschedule or miss due to illness or work/family, but priority must be accorded to the training runs. For the actual race itself, plan your run and run your plan. I adopted the Galloway walk break method for the last two races, and stuck to the plan as well as I could. Similarly, careful planning is required for hydration, refueling and pacing.
  4. Commitment: You must really want to do this. This will inevitably come back to haunt us when we are at the 32 km mark or in a bad patch during the race (or even during LSD runs) where we just want to give up.
  5. Patience: The 10% rule - increase mileage or time no more than 10% per week or risk injury - requires patience. Similarly, patience is required at the start of the race. Start out too fast (in my case, by a mere 15 sec / km), and I risk cramping and a poor finish. More recently, I came across the 5% rule: Expect no more than an improvement of 5% for each race, even after months of hard training. Then again, improvement is not guaranteed.
  6. Support and encouragement: Although running is a solitary sports and we are entirely on our own during the run, knowing that I have the unwaivering support of my loved ones and close friends is of tremendous help. The encouragement I received keeps me going.
  7. No guarantee of success; every possibility of failure. On my first experience at the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon, I had cramps from 32 km onwards and ended up walking the last 5 km. My second experience at the Sundown was disappointing. I realize that there are three possible outcomes: Great race (PB - personal best ), bad race (DNF: did not finish) and somewhere in between. Most of the time, it will be somewhere in between. It is what I learnt from these races that matter.
  8. Learning from experience: Always review and learn. From the Sundown marathon, I realized that I should have gone out at a slower pace, reworked my strategy, and as it turned out, achieved a PB in Phuket.
  • Hard work begets work ethic
  • Pushing limits begets confidence
  • Programs and training develop priorities, focus, discipline
  • Commitment begets character
  • Patience is a virtue
  • Support and encouragement begets stronger friendship and relationships
  • No guarantee of success ensures humility
  • Learning from experience begets wisdom
To me, getting there is the objective. I have learnt to enjoy the journey rather than the destination.


1 comment:

Workingdonkey said...

Couldnt agree more. Great article!