Monday, June 2, 2008

Adidas Sundown Marathon: vēnī, vīdī, vīcī ...?

May 31/Jun 1, 2008

Perhaps it was the hype (Singapore's first night marathon-cum-ultra marathon), perhaps it was a desire to improve, or perhaps it was simply another target to achieve. But the Sundown marathon was THE event that I was focusing on the past 5 months. I wished it could "vēnī, vīdī, vīcī."

First, the lowlights:
1. Longer than expected route (not IAAF certified). My Polar showed 44.5k, while other runners noted that the distance was about 43-44k. The road markers were consistent with my readings up till 21k. But the bridges over the second half must be the reason why it ran longer than the marked distances.

2. Poorer than expected timing. 5:33 by my polar. Official chip time is 05:35:15.59 [Ranked 1,018 out of 3,599]. There are several ways to "adjust" for the discrepancy in distance, but at the end of the day (morning, really), it does not matter. This is a successful marathon, for several reasons.



Next, the highlights:
1. Completed the run without cramping. This is one of my objectives after the SCSM last December. I was a little uneasy before the race as I felt a tightness on my right hamstring as well as a tenderness on the outer side of my left foot. Kept telling myself to take it easy for the first half, and to remain vigilant all the way till the 32k mark (the formidable wall - my Archilles heel). When the tightness and cramping feeling came up about 28 - 29 k, it was 'uh-oh, not again!' Slowed down immediately and thank God the tightness went away. Muscle cramps came back only later toward the end of the race, but no, the muscle spasms did not get me this time. Hurrah. I attribute this to (a) compression tights (pearl izumi), (b) better training, (c) better hydration - prior and on race day, and (d) walk breaks.

2. The Galloway walk breaks helped. 6 min run, followed by 1 min walk (100m walk for every km). After the 32k mark, I got a second wind (at least that's what it felt like to me), and managed to run strong through out the last 5 to 8k. I only got a little down when I realized that I would not be able to meet my target of 5 hours... The good thing is that being familiar with the last 10k helped me to press on (the slopes at Loyang were another story altogether!)

3. The hydration plan worked like a charm. I carried my own water bottle with Powerbar mix, replenished by courtesy of the SGRunners support table. Only needed water from the stations to fill up my water bottle and to pour water over myself, especially after 30k. Actually, the 100plus at the 37.6k station tasted so good because it was cold!

4. I did not land on all fours after taking a stumble about 1k from the end point. Tripped over an uneven part of the path, but recovered in time before splaying myself onto the bushes.

5. Ran with DT for the first 3k and yes, he made it! His first marathon, fulfilling his wish to run 40k before the age of 40! Well done and congratulations!!

6. The heavy downpour minutes after completion. Unfortunately, many runners were caught and I heard that some fell during to the slippery conditions. Hope they weren't injured.

7. Supporters and volunteers: There were two groups of caucasians (one group was at the east coast) who were in high spirits (literally) high 5-ing as we went through. One of them was particularly enthusiastic (and drunk, I suspect) ... I thought I heard the f word as he encouraged us to prod along. Thanks... you meant well.

One thing I always try to do is to show appreciation to the supporters and well wishers. It is not easy to keep shouting "jia you" or "you can do it.." or "1 more k". Usually I try to give them the thumbs-up or say "thank you" if I am not too breathless or just smile. It is the least I can do. In all honesty, I wasn't in the mood to show appreciation during the last 3 to 5k, but to all the people who were out there supporting the run... THANK YOU!

8. My better half, who woke up early and called me as I was on the bus home. Thanks for your support, dear. Couldn't have done this without you!

9. People I met along the way: the gentleman I met on the bus for Changi village who was hoping to achieve a sub-4 (hope you made it!), sotong, me2u, tekko, SGRunners volunteers, the cyclists who accompanied us during the first several km (including the ambulances - not one, but two - that followed me) and all the runners who travailed together on this memorable night run.

10. Support from friends and family.


This text message says it all:

"Congrats my friend. Another great achievement that you and your family can be proud of... A wounded solder limps back from the battle field to be HONOURED."


With DT and PK, celebrating with coffee (to stay awake).

"If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon." - Emil Zatopek, 1952 Olympic Marathon gold medalist

So yes, vēnī, vīdī, vīcī!

And now, for the Phuket marathon...

Honor roll: ASICS Nimbus 9

No comments: