Friday, January 14, 2011

Rave Runs: John MacArthur beach state park

In what would have been a boring out and back along the pavements of Singer Island, FL turned out to be a serendipitous discovery of sorts. After about 4km in 20C temperature (with windchill it was about 15C) out, I met HO on the way back. Didn't recognize him at first with his shades and running gear. It was about an hour ago that we listened to his research presentation - an interesting one, I might add.

HO told me about the great run through John MacArthur park, just up ahead. $2 entrance fee (which he didn't pay cuz he didn't carry any with him), but I gamely forked out the money. And it was certainly worth every cent.

First through the paved road passing by some carparks. Then the broadwalk over the waters. Not very long, possibly 500m long. Ospreys gliding and hovering overhead just 10 m up, hundreds of them. Didn't know they were ospreys or sea hawks, but for an informative signboard along this very same broadwalk. Must have an abundant fish about here to support so many of them.

On the other side, there was a sandy trail off to the right, which I promptly ran into. Not very long, much to my disappointment and I u-turned and went up a flight of steps to view a gorgeous beach. Facing me was the Atlantic Ocean. Very nice indeed.

Back out of the park, headed south again for 1.5km before backtracking to the Hilton. Managed a negative split for the 15km, which was nice given that I had not gone for a long run for more than a month (since APIM70.3).

Rounded off the run with a satisfying plate of 2-entree fried rice from Garden Malls. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

looks like a great park!!