Saturday, January 1, 2011

FOTR retrospective

This is from SC, our most improved cyclist for 2010:

I think the group as a whole improved in the year. The average speed became higher and the distance, longer with time.

I still remember the fateful day, exactly one year ago, when I asked IN if I could join FOTR. My intention then was to have an enjoyable ride in the safety of a group. Nothing could prepare me for my first ride with FOTR which according to Ivan, was supposed to be a “recovery” ride. I struggled along Mandai and practically all the way. At the sixth avenue junction, I fell, embarrassing in front of everyone and an angmoh lady cyclist. We all had a good laugh nonetheless.

Thanks to IN, SE, JN, SY, AY, KC, CS, Michi and the rest, we pushed each other and we have come a long way and experience a lot – Bike n Blades, Tour de Bintan, Trifactor 60km, ITT, Desaru, Mount Faber, Kaki Bukit, all the triathlons and crashes. Of course, I also burned a big hole in my pocket having changed three bikes in a year plus all the nutrition, lights, wheels, helmets, shoes, handlebars, stems, saddle, crank, cassette, trainer, garmins, pedals……. but just to make sure that things get evened out, I also try very hard to psycho others to part with their hard earned dollars on the generally overpriced components. I must say I have quite a bit of success.

It was also never my intention to take part in triathlons but IN told me after one of our rides, while we were having breakfast on his veranda, that it was “very easy” - all I needed to do was to go 100% to the first buoy, 75% to the second buoy and then cruise back to shore for the swim. I duly followed his advice and duly died on my first triathlon.

I also learned that there is no such thing as “slow” or “recovery” rides in this group but this was exactly why we improved. I learned so much from the Ironmen and Ironwomen and enjoyed the company and fellowship. The other things just fell into place.

Thanks for everything and look forward to 2011.

Happy New Year!!!!

No comments: