Saturday, May 8, 2010

Nutrition and 咸鱼炒饭

Salted fish fried rice. I had that for dinner after the last 6 runs. Systematically sampling the quality of this dish in my neighborhood, I have now determined that my favorite is that at Big Eater. Generous slices of salted fish, well fried and fragrant. The lowest on my list? That at Simpang Bedok 24-hour coffee shop. Miniscule pieces of salted fish and down-sized dish.

Why the craving for 咸鱼炒饭? The long runs made me crave for carbohydrates, which the fried rice provided. I also lose a lot of sodium through sweat, hence the salted fish is a good replacement, not least with some protein. I would usually down a cup of yogurt with nuts later on to supplement my diet.

On to more serious stuff - nutrition. That issue has weighed on my mind for some time now. How much to ingest for the 12- to 15-hour double marathon?

I did a small empirical study (I have in mind a more rigorous study - but that will be coming out shortly). With past events as datapoints, I burn about 500 calories per hour. This did not cater for variations such as HR, terrain, temperature, etc. With an anticipated 12 to 15 hours, the total calories used would be 6,000 to 7,500 (probably less, since walking burns less calories). The question is: should I attempt to replace all of the calories lost and if not, what proportion?

After consulting with coach, I am working on replacing 60%. 300 calories for every hour. That works out to 3,600 calories for 12 hours, which is still a high figure. That would be almost 180% of our normal daily calorie intake. It would also mean that 2,400 calories would have to come from internal glycogen stores. That's a sizable amount.

The next challenge is to formulate a nutrition plan.

No comments: