Sunday, March 7, 2010

OCBC cycle 2010 race report


There's a certain joy parenthood in watching our children enjoy the same sports as we do. That's how we felt as we watch D&E cycled two loops in the OCBC cycle Mighty Savers 5 km event on Saturday.

Getting to the F1 pit was a hassle, with the poor ingress and egress, traffic and construction. However, that did not deter more than 700 children from participating in this event.



Both D&E enjoyed their ride, and came back with several "war stories". Turned out that they were very impressed with the winners who zipped past in road bikes with high profile wheels!

As for the 40km challenge on Sunday, all I could say was that it was a recovery ride for me as I was too zoned out. I gave the excuse that I accompanied WL on his maiden cycling race, but I didn't want to go hard with the crowd and many narrow stretches and sharp turns. I thought that the route was quite unexciting, and there were just too many errant cyclists to watch out for to make it fun for me.

The congestion at the F1 pit was appalling - we had to join the riders to get out of the race venue. There were just insufficient thought given to moving participants to and from the race venue. The poor choice of F1 pit was a major factor. And the route was only 36 km in total.

Nevertheless, it was good to ride with the FOTR gang, although we miss our regulars - PK, SY and IN. JN, SC, WL and HC were there, as were I and I, who did the 20km community ride.

No comments: