Monday, March 22, 2010

Aviva 70.3 2010: the day after

One day after.

With time to reflect on the experience and reading the newspaper accounts - participants commenting how hot and humid it was compared to 2009 - I am thankful that

  • it rained heavily in the two days leading up to the race
  • the sky was overcast on the first two loops of the bike and the last loop of the run
  • I wasn't kicked in the face, scratched or swum over
  • I didn't get a flat
  • I wasn't following too closely to the rear accompanying rider (for one wheelchair participant) when he crashed turning out of EC service road
  • the burning sensation in my crotch didn't turn into a boil
  • there were scrunchies with cold ice water (at least until the ice melted and the sponges got recycled)
  • I filled up my water bottle before water ran out on some aid stations
  • encouraging words were exchanged with friends (IN, AY, KL, DJ, SK, ME, etc) during the run
  • I completed the race pretty much according to plan even though I made adjustments on the go
Needless to say, I owe it to my family for their unwavering understanding and support.

IN said once that endurance folks tend to have short pain memory. How true! We are now debating on our other races for the year. Asia Pacific 70.3 Phuket or IMWA?

No comments: