Wednesday, April 1, 2009

TLog: dropping the heels

2 hour bike ride this morning. Learnt a new technique yesterday at the bike shop: Drop the heel when pushing (down stroke). To me, this motion by having the heel lead the downstroke, creates acceleration and power, and allows for a smoother transition to the up pull stroke.

I tried it this morning, and consciously tried to keep cadence high. Also played around with the different gear combinations, together with cadence above 80. With the new fit and heel dropping, I was surprised I could bring the speed up to 30 kph. In fact, I maintained this speed for 5 km straight (even though HR went up to 160!).

On the way back, I diverted to do a short slope. Had to go to the largest gear, so clearly work is needed. The downslope compensated for the hard work. :)

No comments: