Friday, April 10, 2009

Shoe review: Saucony Pro Grid Triumph 6 and Type A2

By now, readers may know that I spend way too much money on shoe - running, cycling, trail, etc. No, I am not Imelda Marcos, but my purchases are purely driven by necessity. (Yes. Some people would take issue with that statement!)

I supinate and my right shoe always wear out too fast. In part this is because of the less than durable outer soles I find on some shoes recently (Nimbus 10!!). But also in part, I don't wish to wear out what little cartilage I have left. So I buy cushioning and replace my shoes religiously when they reach ORD date, which is 600 to 800 km.

My latest purchases direct from Saucony First 2 Market - I have to thank MBF for this actually ... she needed to replace her hurricanes - were the Pro Grid Triumph 6 and Type A2. I have been a fan of Saucony for some time. I have two pairs of Triumph 4s, one pair of 5 and now the 6. After the gold and orange 4s, and bright red Type A, I am ready for any color. So the luminous green Triumph 5 and lime green Type A2 were, not shocking whatsoever. In fact, bright is in.


How did they run?
I needed a light racer for the upcoming sprint and OD triathlons, and I liked the Type A I bought two years ago. The latest model Type A2 did not disappoint. After being used to heavy well cushioned shoes, I almost felt like I was running barefooted with the A2s. What have improved over the older Type A are (a) drainage holes along the soles, (b) better layering on the soles - cleverly laid out where the impact is most likely, and (c) breathable uppers. The only grouse I had was that the A2s are not cheap relative to the Triumph 6 (less material and technology!). But still cheaper than other comparable performance shoes such as Newton and Zoot.

The Triumph 6s felt lighter than the 5s. The one piece sole design is retained but drainage holes have now made their way into (through?) the soles. The ride is as plush as before, so I am quite pleased in that department. My grouse? Well the shoes made a flopping noise that was not present with the 4s and 5s. I figured the noise came from air trapped under the channel running through the middle of the sole. While the noise is not loud, it is somewhat annoying.

The true test will come soon enough, when I take them through the races.

What I can say for now is that my latest shoes have caught the eyes of the garbage truck driver. I gave him my two pairs of Triumph 4s and he wore them proudly the very next day. When I ran past the garbage disposal truck the other morning with my luminous green Triumph 6s, I swore I could see the glint in his eyes as he smiled broadly and waved to me.

Hey, you gotta wait 600 km, ok?

For Saucony Type A2 shoe update, click here.

Saucony Triumph 6 update coming soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I haven't seen the green triumph's yet. And by the way, that's really cool that you give your shoes to the garbage man, I wish everyone was that nice.

Anonymous said...

Hi -

I was just wondering where you picked up the 'luminous green' triumph 6's...they seem like a great shoe in an even cooler color!

BFG said...

The authorized dealer for Saucony brought in the luminous green color Triumph 6s. I have the impression that this color will be out for other markets soon.

Contact (Singapore):
First-2 Marketing Sports
Tel : 6748 8890