Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My First 100 Years: A Look Back from the Finish Line


With a title like that, how can I resist picking up this book?

R Waldo McBurney was 102 years old when he published his book in 2004. A quick internet check showed that Waldo is still alive!

What's even more remarkable is that Waldo started distance running at the youthful age of 65. He set the world record at the World Masters in 1995 in triple jump, shot put and high jump, and in 1999, the world record in discus, 200m and 500m race walk. New records were set by Waldo in 2003 in shot put, 100m and 5000m.

This was Waldo's account of his participation in the master's mile at Fort Hayes State College track meet at the age of 75:

Two years ago, I went to a track meet of small colleges in the new coliseum at Hays, ready to suit up for a masters mile run. I knew I would be lapped three times by the young runners and I would be running three laps after the race was over. That would be too embarrassing, and besides that, the spectators would know the winners and would have no interest in the slowest runner to appear all evening. They would no doubt head for the door rather than wait around for my finish. Under these circumstances I decided to leave my running gear in the car and go to the balcony to enjoy the meet with Vernice, my wife and date. I met the other master milers, all new acquaintances.

This year, I decided to swallow my pride and run even at my slow pace. I would ask the others how I could best keep out of their way as they passed me. The building atmosphere was dry and warmer than my near zero practice trails had been through my winter runs. Running was hard, and my mouth got dry. After the others finished, the crowd made so much noise I couldn't hear Fred Irwin, my pace advisor, call out the time. Two younger runners joined me in my second solo lap out of respect, hope, sympathy, support or encouragement. Whatever the motive, I appreciated this fellowship. I wound up the run with a kick, which was accompanied by cheers from all over the place. I didn't know until afterwards, but the spectators had come to their feet. It was as if someone had revealed how to retain the fountain of youth under the generally accepted handicap of old age.

The reaction of the crowd was a surprise to me. I would prefer that this praise would be directed to the One who created us all in such a fearful and wonderful way.

...

I trust that this experience will be instrumental in helping people become aware of the marvelous potential of the human body and help motivate each one to care for it with all diligence and thankfulness.


The book is a first (living) person account of life in the early 20th century, where there's no running water, except from the well, bath once a week on Saturdays and laundry wash the next Monday, using the same bath water. A work week was 60 hours, 6 days a week. School was 2 miles walk/run each way, and that was after doing farm chores such as milking the cow, feeding the chicken, etc. That was before the days of the automobile, toothbrush, birth certificates and penincillin. Such perspective!

Waldo also shared his views on nutrition, exercise, and of course, his journey from jogging to running to race walking. Throughout the book, one may use adjectives such as phenomenal, great, and incredible. But as Waldo himself put it right in the introduction:

But these achievements are not the greatest things in life. The following quote helps my humility and discourages my pride:

"In strength of horse or speed of man
The Lord takes no delight;
But those that fear and trust His love
Are pleasing in His sight."
Ps 147:10,11


Read more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woah!! I did not know there is such a verse in Psalms. it is a reverlation to me.
"In strength of horse or speed of man
The Lord takes no delight;
But those that fear and trust His love
Are pleasing in His sight."
Ps 147:10,11