Wednesday, March 4, 2009

TLog: miss 'em swim sessions!

With the focus on the Tokyo marathon in three weeks' time, I'd to cut down on the swim sessions - to just once a week. When I went back to the pool on Sunday, I was kinda glad to swim. Never thought that would happen! Any way, 30 laps on basic drills.

This morning was back in the pool - and I focussed on the leg kicks. I never really liked the kick drills. Just too slow and dreary. But the slower pace allowed me to remember some friends in supplication. And all too soon, the four laps were over!

Tried the 4-kick motion, and to time the kick with the pull. Not sure if I did the right thing, but it seemed to provide better thrust. As my good friend PK said, as we grow older, we look for more efficient techniques. Was able to complete the 30 laps in a record 52 minutes - my PB!

And another thing ... I started counting strokes again. Now doing 20 - 21 strokes per 25m. That is down from 22 - 23 a number of weeks ago. The surprise is that with a longer glide, I'd have thought that the pace would slow. Instead, my 50-m lap time went down to 1:20 - 1:23. So must be on the right track! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi BFG,

How wonderful to be in the Tokyo marathon. All the best and have a great time. Post some nice photos ;).
I found the IT swimming for triathlon by Terry Laughlin in the libary. But the author very 'lowso' until page ten still had not get to the 'gess' of the IT swimming. Will continue reading it tonite.I Believe it will help me.

BFG said...

HI AldSteph

Glad you found the TI book. I have another book by TL, but just on swimming. I was about to contact you to pass that to you.

I believe the principles are the same. Yes, TL tends to be long winded and write about his experience and philosophy. There are many drills to get into the TI way and I found that watching the video helps. Here's one video that I found:
http://bfgmidliferunning.blogspot.com/2008/10/total-immersion-swimming-by-terry.html

Let's exchange and share our experiences so as to improve our swim!

Anonymous said...

Thanks dude, i guess i need to prepare to swallow plenty of water from the pool...:p