Monday, March 9, 2009

Early birds: remembering Harry

Rex jumped up the moment I turned on the lights and started spinning his wheels. This was 4 am. But then, hamsters are supposed to be nocturnal creatures. Not me. But for the past three weeks, I had been getting up early for the long runs, and to be honest, it was not easy. But then, what's training if there's no sacrifice?

There were quite a number of people out exercising in the early hours of the morning, and surprisingly, many were elderly folks. They were taking their walks, or working the machines at the exercise corners, or doing tai-chi. One elderly lady was telling another that she slept at 7 pm and woke up at 4 am. And out walking at 5:30 am. Came across a number of bikers along the east coast, perhaps putting in a key workout before Aviva 70.3.

The sight of these energetic folks reminded me of the old school boys dinner on Sunday. There I met up with Harry L, my sec 1 form teacher. He was then the teacher in charge of soccer, somewhat brash and full of vigor. I still remember the lectures we received, and he instilled a healthy fear in us.

Now Harry must be over 70, but even with his hair (and eyebrows) all white, he still keeps trim and fit. Of course he could not remember me, but after we shook hands, he held on to me as if wanting to reconnect over these long intervening years. I told him that even though we were in fear of him, on hindsight, we were grateful for the discipline he instilled in us. Discipline that put us in good stead even today. I think that made his day.

Sunrise at the east coast was really pretty.

It was really cool this morning, the pavements were still damp from the torrential downpour yesterday. Kept to a HR of 140 to 145 to conserve energy for the last 5 km which was to be at MP or better. Here's how it went from 19 k: 6:52, 6:22, 6:42, 6:36, 6:45. Total: 25 k. Good run. Rating: 4/5

Getting to know the Mizuno Rider 12. Light, comfortable, plush. So far so good. Should be ready for Mar 22.

No comments: