Sunday, November 9, 2008

TLog: Intervals

Interval training is not a new concept to me, but simply something that I have never done. Idea is to get the fast twitch muscles working and interval training is a well accepted way to improve speed. So rounding off this tough week is - well, interval training.

Supposed to do 6x800m intervals at 3:00 (4:30 min/km pace) or below. However (!), due to family commitments, I had to bring it forward. Having done a 1km swim in the morning didn't exactly put me in great condition. So it is not surprising that I could only manage 4X400m intervals. The paces are: 1:31, 1.41, 1.41 and 1.48. Only the first lap came close to the target of 1:30. :(

I could not sustain the fast pace over the entire 400m, even when I started out more conservatively. Tough work that needs getting used to. But gotta start somewhere.

On the swim, I tried something from the TI drills. This is the switch drill. Start with arms extended on the side, face down. Zipper upper hand and enter quietly in front. Catch up, then rotate with body and head together to the other side. At the same time, ensure extension of arm. Take 2 to 3 yoga breaths, then face down again. Repeat.

Found this drill to be easier as I got more air and spend less time between breaths. Checked that the upper hand is in the air each time to ensure that body is horizontal, since the flat position is now omitted. Also practiced the second drill, now into the third week.

1 comment:

Workingdonkey said...

800m intervals @ target time of 3:00 are very very tough....i could only manage 3:30-3:45 with rest time of 3mins.

Anyway, keep it up!