Monday, November 10, 2008

TLog: The heavens opened

Dark clouds loomed as I started this last long run (25k) before the Bangkok marathon. At Changi village, the ground was wet, from the rain that I missed but reaped the advantage of. Cooler temp translated to easier running. But at 13km (after turning into Pasir Ris from Loyang Ave), the sky opened and it was cats and dogs. Shoes got wet and heavy in a hurry.

Last time I ran in heavy downpour like this was last year at the east coast. Good time to test whether I get blisters with the Wright socks (I didn't). It was refreshing and somewhat to my surprise, I actually enjoyed running in the rain. Avoiding puddles became somewhat academic after a while, but I still didn't like getting ambushed and having to splash through puddles.

Met another solitary runner at PCN leading to SunPlaza. Since we were the only two crazies running in the rain, we started chatting. Sam headed back to PR MRT and I continued into Tampines. Nice chatting with you, Sam.

I recalled reading what some writers described as ordinary people watching "shadowy figures running in the cold (rain)" and wondering what in the world are these people doing! And today, I was one of them. The experience was uplifting as I gave thanks for family, blessings and health.

Along the Tampines MRT track, the rain subsided. At the junction of Tampines, I was a little undecided, but continued to Safra and Bedok Reservoir as I was short. The rain intensified again. Heading up the overhead bridge spanning PIE, there was lightning and thunder. Chicken little decided to backtrack and take cover for a few minutes. When the light and sound show was over, I continued and picked up the pace for the last km.

One of my most memorable and enjoyable runs. :)


View Larger Map

HR was less of a mess this time around:

No comments: