Friday, October 21, 2011

Trivials

It is during the LSD runs that I have uninterrupted solitude. Time to reflect, contemplate and at times, find quiet amusement. Of the last category, I had a bit of self indulgence deliberating whom to vote for in the 2011 FOTR True Grit award.

Truth be told, there were so many nominations worthy of mention: DC who ran 27km in spite of a bad knee. AC completed BnB with a swollen bee-stung ear. And who could forget EL, who enacted her crash along Jln Buroh for us. Gutsy of her to turn up for BnB. So many heroes. Then there was GL - the only victim I know of a wild boar hit-and-run, who suffered broken ribs and recovered in record breaking time to clock up another BnB.

On the subject of broken bones, JN had a missile ejected at him during a training ride along Neo Tew, fell, fractured his arm and spent 6 weeks out of action. That did not stop him from completing BnB. And yes, that did not stop him from dropping me along the slopes of Desaru. Hence I couldn't bring myself to vote for him.

Then there was the dramatic crash that IN took during Aviva 70.3. According to him, he was speeding along at 35 - 38 kph, and well in the groove when his wheel got caught in a linear crack that brought him crashing down. He was too stunned to move for several minutes, and waited some 15 to 20 minutes for an ambulance that never came. Fed up, he mounted up and completed the bike leg with a wobbly front wheels and a bloodied shoulder. I couldn't verify his account, but I could verify that his shoulder was really a mess. But that would have gotten my vote except for one important fact. He overtook me (again!) on the run to achieve a PB!

Last but not least, there was GH, who was dazzled us with his speed and power on the last Desaru ride. Unfortunately he fell, flipped and landed hard on his shoulders. That would have taken any ordinary person out of a IM or 226. But not so, GH. Remarkably he completed Taiwan 226 a few weeks later, injured shoulder and all.

Yes, GH got my vote because he didn't overtake me.

PS: Well, he couldn't because I did not do that race ;)

No comments: