Friday, October 21, 2011

BFG rave runs: Mannheim 2011

There's no better therapy than a good long run. This being a run-focussed week, I had long runs in Mannheim and two more back home.

Starting with the Mannheim runs first. Being on the north side of the railway station (hauptbahnhof), I decided to head north towards the Neckar river instead of the Rhein, which I covered last year. Found the Luisenpark easily enough, but it was closed. But I noticed a running track right by the river bank, and headed over. Beautiful quiet path with only runners, cyclists and the occasional dog (with owner in tow). Headed east and turned back to complete a 10km. Temp a cool 12 to 15 deg C (I was underdressed with only a tanktop, so had to run fast to keep warm). ave 6:05 pace


The next day, I headed off earlier, and negotiated the same route. It would have led to Heideburg, 20km away. Generally flat all the way. Passed a small village (Ilvesheim) and u-turned at Neckarsheim for a 20km run. Fast finish. Ave: 6:11 pace




Then a short recovery 5km run on the southside along Rhein river the next morning. Too cold for my liking, 2 deg when I left the hotel and 5 deg when I came back. Said hi to lady Stephanie and the trails that I so enjoyed last year.

Oh yes. An afternoon of sightseeing -- Heideburg castle (schloss). Plenty of tourists, unlike Mannheim.

No comments: