Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Stronger, Safer, Faster

In the light of the unfortunate accident last week, we have re-evaluated our safety protocols and added two more:

- Cap max speed limit to 40 kph


- No sprinting unless pre-specified

The key is to keep to groups (even in twos or threes) for safety reasons. Of course it feels good to be fast, and that drives much of any cycling group dynamics. (This is the reason why coach wasn't too keen on group cycling - we tend to push each other a little too much).

I think we need a max speed cap to avoid endangering ourselves needlessly. We'll have sprint points to keep the speedsters happy, but other than the specified sprint stretches, we should adhere to the limit. Those who like more speedwork would be able to find many faster groups.

From my persepective, there's no reason to be fast all the time. In fact, I enjoy being the default sweeper on most of our rides as that allows me to pull almost all the time. I'd rather be able to pull consistently at 30kph then draft at 40kph. That way, I'll know that I can shave off at least 20 min on the 90km aviva event next year. I still get to my interval trainings on sprint points and on the trainer!

Hence the title: Stronger, Safer and Faster. Speed will come as an outcome, but safety comes before speed.

No comments: