Sunday, August 8, 2010

Desaru 130k ride

As part of the Bike n Blade training, a group of 20 of us departed from TMFT on a bleak Sat morning, headed for Tg Pengelih in Johor, Malaysia. Bleak because dark clouds were looming, and we were sure it would rain. Thank God, the weather held out.

Our regular FOTR kakis were AY (chair of BnB comm), JN, SC, YP, JT and newcomer GP. There were many veterans - who took part since the inaugural event 2 years ago - riding as well. It was a good opportunity to know them.

We rode as a group to Sungei Rengit, 17 km away. Thought of stopping for breakfast, but decided to follow AY and rode on. It wasn't too long after a few climbs that a few of us lagged behind. Long way more to go, so I decided not to try to keep up with the speedsters.

Took Road 92 (17km) and turned left to Tg Belungkor on Road 89. Tg Belungkor is another ferry point, but would stop operating trips from Singapore. On the way there, three of us - JN, SG and I - came face to face with a wild boar. It crossed the road, stopped in the middle and looked at me. Fortunately it was about 200m or so away. Then it decided to continue crossing the road, after determining that I wasn't lunch.

Then we encountered a bunch of monkeys and were glad that we weren't carrying any bananas.


A short break at Tg Belungkor to fill up on water, and then looped back to Road 92. Saw the rest - who stopped for breakfast - catching up. We rode together all the way into Desaru. I was leading the group at that point, and was glad when Allan overtook me coz I wasn't sure where to go once we reached Desaru. Stopped at the Petronas station for drinks.

By then, I was starting to feel the effects of the long climbs. But as GP put it, we were just 30 km from lunch, and that kept us going.

The route from Petronas back was via coastal road 92. Less climbs, but very windy. On one climb, I pressed a little too hard to overtake Sam, and felt cramps on the right thigh. It persisted for a while and I had to slow down. Good thing Mr C went away.

For a good stretch I was happy to draft AY, who stopped to ensure that we were ok. The ride took its toll on all. Some just held up better than others.

Lunch at Sg Rengit was a seafood affair. It felt good to replenish and ease those weary muscles. It was then another slow 17k ride back to the ferry terminal where we cheered upon reaching the gates!

The Desaru ride was definitely the best ride this year for me. It was the longest as well - 134km by my garmin.

Memorabilia: A small frog did a kamikaze on the bottom of my downtube.

No comments: