Sunday, February 7, 2010

Checking the boxes

I heard many experienced triathletes say that it is crucial to spend enough time in the saddle in order to surmount the 70.3 and full IMs. What's intimidating is to be able to run 21km after clocking 90km for the 70.3. Which is why we had been pushing up our mileage on the bike.

What's supposed to be a 100km ride last Sat was reduced to a big ZERO as I came down with a fever the night before. Good thing I was back on my feet (er ... butt) again on Sunday, doing a 40km ride with the FOTRers. Anxious to make up for lost time, I went out for a long ride this morning, but my legs were feeling the effects of Sunday's ride and I headed back home after two loops, settling for 70km.

For this morning's session, my objectives were (a) get used to extra weight from another two water bottles - discernible increase in weight, (b) nutrition on the bike - which worked out reasonably well (except that I have to figure out how to get the small electrolyte pills out); and (b) short brick run - which also turned out well. This being the first brick run, I'd expect some difficulty finding my legs. Surprisingly, I didn't. In fact, it felt good to use a different muscle group instead of the cycling muscles.

More brick sessions are likely. What else?

(1) 120 km rides x2
(2) ride in the morning sun
(3) brick session around lunch time
(4) run in the afternoon sun
(5) open water swims x2

No comments: