Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bintan training camp 2010


Who in their sound mind would pay money for pain and suffering?

30 odd triathletes did, all in the name of high volume training camp. This two-day event was held in Bintan, at the idyllic resort of Nirwana Gardens, organized by TriBob.

What we went through:
Sat morning: Upon disembarking from the ferry terminal at Bintan, we broke into three groups (by ability levels). I was in the red group, and the aim is to cover 100 odd km. Led by Kevin T, we set off at a good speed, in excess of 30 kph. HR was up in the 150 region. And this was what they called an easy endurance ride? Then we hit the first slope 4 km after we started. 40m increase elevation over 1 km. A few minor slopes until we turned into a new road. That was when the torture started. Over 7km, we ascended 50m and there were some big slopes. My quads were killing me, and I had to switch to the small chain ring. A short respite and rest at a small seaside village at 48k mark. It was relatively easy riding for the next 15k, and I rode at the front of the pack, experiencing drafting and group riding as it should be. It was on the next upslope at the 65k mark that I felt cramps on the right thighs. Immediately I slowed to stretch. Didn't want to drop out half way through the ride, as another lady had done. The price for controlling the cramps was to drop to the back of the pack. Heading to the resort meant covering the same slopes we passed through earlier. Turning into the road leading to the resort brought a stark reminder why I found the Bintan tri so tough. Two or three climbs that just took their toll. Last to roll in.

Sat afternoon: After checking in and lunch (and a short rest), it was time for open water swim. Did two loops of 400m to warm up and then it was team interval swimming of 300m. I did only two intervals. Water was a little choppy, and it had been a long while since my last OWS in Sept last year.

Sun morning: 3 sets of bike-run brick sessions. A 40k "steady pace" recovery ride. Depends on what is meant by steady pace. It was race pace for this old guy. 30kph or more on the straights. I tried my best to ride in the pack. But after 30k or so, with the hot sun, it was difficult to keep up and I ended up at the back again. It took substantial effort to catch up, riding at speeds of 33kph and up. Then the Nirwana slopes got me again. And I ended rolling in last again.

Immediately set out for a brick run and it was tough. Some participants had given up by then, but K told me that he would go with me on the second 10k bike ride. It was supposed to be race pace, but it was no different from the first ride. Then back to another 3km brick run. The white flag came out then, and I didn't do the last set of 7k bike and 1k run at all-out pace.

107k ride on Garmin connect.

I'd to say that the vast majority of participants were very fit. Finishing time of 5+ hours for 70.3, 3:45 for marathon, 1:30 for half marathon, etc. Even the ladies were formidable, easily besting some of the guys. Suffice to say that it is a humbling experience to be in the company of such athletes. What I appreciated was that most were very modest and unassuming. They would gladly share their experience and advice when asked.

All in all, a tremendous weekend, capping a 17-hour training week.

No comments: